Sunday, November 14, 2004

ZoSo...Just SoSo and this ain't Jimmy Page!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
I just rolled in from the show at R&B's, after a stop at the Stone Lion for a nitecap (I heard tell of a reprieve in the air for Hoppy's treasured locale, stay tuned!?) and I must say ZoSo has left me a bit underwhelmed. And, no shit, the "Jimmy Page" looked more like the above photo of an early nineties Ace Frehley. Yikes!
Okay, so there's no way to win if you try to emulate one of the all-time great fucking bands in the history of rockdom or whatever you want to call it, but you can expect the guitar to be in tune. Apparently, the band's appearance in Chattanooga was an off-night. The band was sporting a new "John Bonham," who was a little off-beat at times, and the band in general seemed to have been experiencing more than a few technical difficulties, which prompted a couple of catcalls from your humble narrator and his compatriot for the evening, a certain gentlemen, Mr. Michael Jaynes, Esq. And Senor Jaynes and I didn't realize the band even went as far as utilizing fake-British accents which I thought was priceless. "Does anyone remember laughter?" Well...I blurted that phrase out during a break (much to the amusement of the cute, sexy, little girls who stood in front of us and shook their moneymakers all night), but ZoSo should have been all over that kind of detail.
Which brings me to my point. All that I have read and researched about ZoSo has indicated that they are, or were, a first-class Led Zeppelin tribute act, if not the best. During tonight's performance I got the impression I was witnessing the last act of a dying man. Overall, my rating would be: mediocre to competent. However, the drunken Chattanooga crowd in attendance probably thought they were at Earl's Court in 1975. As deluded as that may seem, good for them I say! They had a great time. The club even had to throw out a couple of hooligans who were having a bit too good of a time. Well, what's rock-in-roll without a bit of anarchy?
Anyway, I was a bit let down by some of the performances tonight. The bass was overpowering everything (Page NEVER would have allowed that), and sometimes I felt like I was watching a Whitesnake tribute group (I don't recall anyone in Led Zep wearing Capezios). Nevertheless, a good time was had by all. But don't expect me to go to the Bon Jovi tribute show. There's a limit you know!
|
Content copyright protected by Copyscape website plagiarism search